Star Trek Celebrates 50 Years
To commemorate 50 years of boldly going where no one has gone before, And There Came A Day presents a weekly countdown to September 8, 2016 – 50 years to the day of the premiere of Star Trek.
Related content from And There Came A Day
Star Trek Discovery premieres in January of 2017. This will be the sixth Star Trek series and most of the details concerning the show have been kept tightly under wraps. Yesterday, that changed. Significantly.
USA Today has a full account, but here are some highlights:
- Star Trek Discovery takes place in the so-called “Prime” universe – the Shatner as Kirk universe as opposed to the Pine as Kirk universe.
- The show takes place about 10 years prior to Kirk’s five year mission.
- It will center on an incident familiar to Star Trek fans, but never fully explored – intriguing!
- It will star a female lead – but she will not be the captain of the ship.
- There will be a prominent gay character.
- The show will feature robots.
- The first season’s episodes (there will be 13) will tie into an ongoing arc.