- Remembering Dad on Father’s Day
- My Dad And My Guitar
- 10 Best Dads!
- Fathers Day 2014 – What Would My Dad Do?
The older I get and the more people I encounter in my life, the more I understand that I am one of the lucky ones. Not everyone enjoys a terrific relationship with their father for reasons of all kinds and I am sorry for those who do not.
But I am blessed enough to have had a great father and I will speak for my two sisters here: we were blessed to have Dad as our dad.
Whatever I try to be as a father, I learned from how my father fathered me. When I think of the memories I would like my children to have of me when they are adults parenting kids on their own, I want them to have memories similar to the ones I have of my dad.
- Walking across the campus of my college alma mater, Catholic University, last week, I said to The Cinnamon Girl “That’s where the bank was where I opened my first adult account. Dad and I did that one afternoon my first week on campus.” He was taking care of me as he ever did.
- Just yesterday, the hashtag #FirstComics was making the electronic rounds and I tweeted a picture of the first comic books in my collection (comics which are framed on the wall of my office). Dad bought them for me.
- I think of dad each time I strap on my twelve string guitar. It has a hole in it that dad fixed.
- We bought a new car in the spring and the impulse to check in with dad on what he thought was so very strong. He always had car advice even if it was not always good advice.
- When my mother-in-law passed away last week, one of the first thoughts I had was how would Dad respond? What would Dad do?
I could share many more memories but I will conclude with this: I love my father. I always will.
I am one of the lucky three who can call him my dad.