Related Content from And There Came A Day
- Countdown to ENDGAME | Iron Man II
- Countdown to ENDGAME | The Incredible Hulk
- Countdown to ENDGAME | Iron Man
- Countdown to ENDGAME | Captain America
Captain America: The First Avenger | Iron Man | The Incredible Hulk| Iron Man II | THOR | The Avengers | Iron Man 3 | Thor: The Dark World | Captain America: The Winter Soldier | Guardians of the Galaxy Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 | Avengers: Age of Ultron | Ant-Man | Captain America: Civil War | Doctor Strange | Spider-Man: Homecoming | Thor: Ragnarok | Black Panther | Avengers: Infinity War | Ant-Man and the Wasp
Thor is an almost completely delightful movie. Director Kenneth Branagh does a remarkable job weaving together the story of a boastful man-child, petulant heir to a throne whose father realizes (and way too late as Thor’s recklessness costs many, many lives) that his son needs a comeuppance and banishes him from the magical realm of Asgard to the also magical realm of Earth. On Earth, much fun is had as Chris Hemsworth (in a ridiculously winning performance) perfectly embodies a fish-out-of-water with much to learn. Though there are few surprises and we know that Thor will get his hammer and his powers and his life back, the journey is so much fun we do not complain.
But Thor has its weaknesses. While Natalie Portman is very good as Jane Foster, she is also given little more to do than react to things around her and she is forced to play some very painful, eye-batting scenes with Hemsworth. There is, as becomes a Marvel trope, a little too much shoe-horned world building. I love me some Agent Coulson (Son-of-Coul Thor hilariously calls him), but he, too, is window dressing (and do not ask yourself how the Hawkeye scene plays into the plot of this film…).
Come for the fun, stay for Tom Hiddleston’s Loki! Thor is a delightful surprise and far better than it has a right to be.
You can read my full review but the end run is that Thor received FOUR BROKEN COFFEE CUPS out of a possible FIVE.
- Jane Foster
- Dr. Erik Selvig
- Lady Sif
- The Warriors Three
- Clint Barton/Hawkeye
- Jasper Sitwell (SHIELD agent who will have a number of appearances in Marvel movies)
CONNECTION(S) TO INFINITY WAR:
- The Tesseract is back in the post credit stinger and Loki is there to see it.
- The stinger sets up Avengers as that movie begins almost immediately where the stinger leaves off.
- Dr. Selvig (almost) name drops Bruce Banner – “a colleague who worked with gamma radiation.”
- Hawkeye, in his silly cameo, is an Avenger and, while Hawkeye returns for Avengers | Endgame.
- The Destroyer, which, well, destroys much SHIELD property and a few SHIELD agents, will be referenced in Avengers.
Avengers | Endgame is coming…