Related Content from And There Came A Day
- Countdown to ENDGAME | The Avengers
- Countdown to ENDGAME | Thor
- Countdown to ENDGAME | Iron Man II
- Countdown to ENDGAME | The Incredible Hulk
ONE A WEEK UNTIL Avengers Infinity War opens in May!
Captain America: The First Avenger | Iron Man | The Incredible Hulk| Iron Man II | Thor | The Avengers | Iron Man 3|Thor: The Dark World |Captain America: The Winter Soldier |Guardians of the Galaxy Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 |Avengers: Age of Ultron |Ant-Man |Captain America: Civil War |Doctor Strange | Spider-Man: Homecoming | Thor: Ragnarok | Black Panther | Avengers: Infinity War | Ant-Man and the Wasp
IRON MAN 3
Iron Man 3 is one of my favorite Christmas movies. Did you forget it takes place over the holiday? It is also smart and fun and directly deals with fallout from Avengers. Though there are many for whom the big reveal of the identity of the Mandarin did not land, it absolutely worked overtime for me. Almost every choice made in Iron Man 3 works. It is a much superior sequel to Iron Man 2.
It is surprisingly funny and it might be Robert Downey jr’s best performance in the role of Tony Stark which is surely saying something. The movie’s main antagonist, Guy Pearce’s Aldrich Killian, is a slight improvement over the typical villain. And the chemistry between Downey and Gwyneth Paltrow along with the dynamic between Downey and Don Cheadle is terrific, too.
Iron Man 3 is a very much self contained affair. There is very little world building here and the majority of the plot threads it introduces are not really revisited again. It also takes on some of the most “grown up” themes of any of the Marvel films.
And the initial segment of the closing credits – the Hart to Hart homage, the driving and super-duper theme song by Brian Tyler and the images from all 3 Iron Many movies – is too much fun.
Iron Man 3 plays like the final installment in Iron Man’s solo adventures, and so it has been.
Iron Man 3 premiered before I was blogging reviews, but it receives FOUR AND A HALF DORA THE EXPLORER WATCHES out of a possible FIVE.
- The Mandarin
- Tony’s army of Iron Man suits (which are, of course, destroyed in the context of the movie)
CONNECTION(S) TO ENDGAME:
- The kind of artificial intelligence that is seen in the new suits sets up a plot point of Avengers: Age of Ultron which will lead to Captain America: Civil War which will… you get the point.
- Stay for the post credit scene which continues the development of the so-called “science bros” rapport between Tony and Mark Ruffalo’s Bruce Banner.
- We know that Tony puts his armor back on before Avengers: Age of Ultron, but the audience is never actually told why or how.
AVENGERS | ENDGAME IS COMING