Related Content from And There Came A Day
- Countdown to INFINITY… Guardians of the Galaxy
- Countdown to INFINITY… Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- Countdown to INFINITY… Thor The Dark World
- Countdown to INFINITY… Iron Man 3
ONE A WEEK UNTIL Avengers Infinity War opens in May!
Captain America: The First Avenger | Iron Man | The Incredible Hulk| Iron Man II | Thor | The Avengers | Iron Man 3 | Thor: The Dark World | Captain America: The Winter Soldier | Guardians of the Galaxy | Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 | Avengers: Age of Ultron | Ant-Man | Captain America: Civil War | Doctor Strange | Spider-Man: Homecoming | Thor: Ragnarok | Black Panther
Week Eleven: GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 2
Upon viewing the movie again for this countdown, I immediately started smiling when the first moment of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 unspooled. The prologue is great and the opening scene is perfect.
Most of the movie is perfect, actually. My complaint (and it feels nitpicking about a movie I enjoy as much as I do this one) is that it is a little over-packed. There is simply TOO MUCH. There are so many characters and subplots. It is as though writer/director James Gunn decided to give us everything we loved in Guardians of the Galaxy but, you know, more!
It works because the characters are so very appealing. Spending almost two and a half hours with them is a ton of fun. The film also gives the audience not one, not two, but a ridiculous five mid-to-end credit sequences. As mentioned earlier, the movie is terrific, if a bit indulgent,.
It also features the best Stan Lee cameo of them all – the one that explains ALL the other Stan Lee cameos. And, for what it is worth, there are homages here to The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Knight Rider, Star Trek V and, believe it or not, Mary Poppins!
And, another quick note,i n the overall sequence of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, this is the only Marvel movie that comes right after its original. Vol. 2 takes place about 2 months after Vol. 1. At this time period in the Marvel movies, the Avengers have yet to encounter Ultron and the destruction of Sokovia is months away.
When I reviewed Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 last summer when it was released, I gave it FOUR AND A HALF MIXTAPES out of a possible FIVE. Perhaps my expectations were too high, but the movie is a bit overpacked.
- Ego (the Living Planet)
- Taser Face
- The Watchers
- Adam (Warlock)
CONNECTION(S) TO INFINITY WAR:
- The audience is reminded that Peter Quill can hold an Infinity Stone in his hand and not die. That may well be critical to the plot of Infinity War.
- There is much talk about the Kree. If rumors are true, Captain Marvel, a Kree, will be in Infinity War. She certainly stars in her own movie soon.
- Drax and Nebula are still searching for Thanos to have vengeance on him. One can bet that will play into Infinity War.